Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tips & Techniques: Unlocking the Secrets of Unfamiliar Water

Outlaw Angler, Adrian Avena, checks in with some great information about figuring out unfamiliar water.


    

 Whether you are a tournament angler  or a weekend fisherman,  going to a new body of water can be a little overwhelming and, at times, very challenging to figure out. Over time, I have come up with a few things that have helped me to figure out new water very quickly.



Map It

It's a good idea to purchase a map or get photo shots off Google earth of the lake you are going to fish.  These are very helpful in getting a look at the “big picture” and can help you narrow down a few good-looking areas before you even get your boat wet.

Know The History

Research the history of the lake.  There is a lot of information available on most of the larger lakes  and you can learn a lot just by doing a little research.  Have there been any tournaments there? What kind of weights has it been producing? What kind of patterns has been consistently dominate?   This all good information to add to your bag of tricks.


Local Knowledge

Visit local bait shops.  These guys are usually tuned-in with what is happening on their lake. Any bit of knowledge  from locals will only benefit you out on the water.


Conditions

When I drop my boat in the water I take note of the water temperature,  weather conditions, and season.  Combine this information with what you have already learned from your map and research and you immediately have a good idea about where to begin your day.


 Step On It

Lastly, when I begin my fishing day on a new body of water, I like to fish fast and cover as much water as possible.  This has made me much more successful in figuring out the puzzle.

I hope my five step process for tackling a new body of water helps you become more successful. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or visit me on visit me on Facebook.

 Adrian Avena

No comments:

Post a Comment